Sunday, August 2, 2009

Life After Korea (is pretty good)


August. I've been back for six months now. Half a year! I can safely say that I'm fully re-integrated in my Montreal life now, even though I still miss living abroad. Those last six months have been the most difficult transition ever- I wish someone had warned me that the whole challenge of living abroad comes after, and not so much during. But I survived, and here I am, a bit older and much wiser. Still figuring out what I'm doing here, and what I want to do next. Getting a taste of Asia and living abroad has left me wanting more, more, more. Like eating a cupcake.

And what seemed like a gloomy, sad summer turned out to be one of the best so far: new friends, road trips, visits to old friends. Re-discovering Montreal, and being a tourist in my own city. Montreal is just the best in the summer. And so is Toronto. Yes, I adore Toronto! Not only is it big and stylish, but it's also home to one of my dearest friends.

Life back home has been completely different from what I had expected. Maybe worse, maybe better. I'm not sure yet. But I think it's for the best. What I know is, I've been having a blast in the past few weeks, and it really feels like summer...

Best cupcakes in Montreal: Cocoa Locale. Annie, this one's for you.

Road trip! Apparently, I can drive and fill up a tank.

Holt Renfrew's display of one of the best style blogs, Garance Doré

Brunch on St-Laurent

Tourist in my own city.

I heart Toronto


Koreatown in Toronto: of course I had to check it out. I almost died when I saw an E-Mart!

Mini cupcakes on Queen Street, Toronto.

20 comments:

Kelly said...

I love when you do these posts!it inspires me to be a tourist in my area as well!

I love love loveeee all your outfits in your pictures, especially your white dress!!

So cute!

thevoyageofv said...

I can't believe it's been six months! And I'm so glad your summer's been so much better than you thought it would be :-)
Btw, I've been so curious about those HR fashion blogger displays. I saw the one for Sea of Shoes on her blog and can't wait to see what they came up with for the Sartorialist! You have to reposrt back!

Stephanie Morris said...

Love it girl:)
You look beautiful and well adjusted and strong and happy:)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

cupcakes basically make everythign good.

Clarity said...

Oh you make me want book a ticket, to quote,

"I want to go to there".

I so understand what you mean about Asia and Japan as you stated on my blog. I somewhat feel that way about Morocco. I think that you seem to have the greater freedom, you are integrated back in your own city but can still drift off if you wish and expand all horizons.

I adore your brunch spot, wherever that is and am glad you can have such a good time enjoying sweet Toronto and Montreal.

Nicole Marie said...

awww fun! i'm glad you're having a blast. its funny how much fun you can have just being a tourist in your own town. especially when its a big city. i've lived here 5 years and still find new and exciting things!

Kristin said...

I'm so jealous of your life experience. I really wish I had lived abroad before I started a fam. Le sigh.

Des said...

Such a great post. Road trips and good friends can help cure just about anything.

danceofthecosmos said...

The bloggers displays in Montreal?? No way. I wanted to see them but I had no idea they were in Montreal too.

Your pictures are so cute, glad you're having a good time.

Vivian said...

Yes, the blogger displays are quite fantastic! I saw Brian Boy's too. I think the Toronto store has the Sartorialist... I should go back to HR to take more pictures of the other displays!

A Girl in Asia said...

One of the best things about travel/living overseas is that it inspires you to be more of a 'tourist' in your own city, don't you think? You can still get that rush of doing/seeing something new...just in different ways...

Mary Witzl said...

You're lucky to live in a big city that has a Korean store. We have to drive 80 miles to a town that has Asian foodstufs, and sometimes they're out of kimchi. Thank God cupcakes are available just about everywhere.

captivate me. said...

ooh, I love Toronto!! Glad you're enjoying the city :-)

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

a girl after my own heart...those cupcakes look amazing!

Life Abroad said...

this post is so interesting for me, since i'm kinda scared about what life will be like after i move back to Canada.... people always tell me that the difficulty begins when you try to re-integrate into your home country. i'd be interested to know what you found most difficult about it? any tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated haha!

it's great that you have become a tourist in your own city. those cupcakes look delicious!

The Lil Bee said...

How neat that you discovered a Garance Dore display. And you are torturing me with all those cupcakes...you must've mentioned them or posted photos at least five times, which means I most definitely have to devour one later this evening!!

PS I'm glad you are loving your hometown again, even if you still miss Seoul. Hard to believe it's been 6 months!

PAM said...

playing tourist in yer own city sounds fun! lol! i also do that.. pretend im korean or japanese with my lame asian poses lol! :) im glad uve finally adjusted! :)

Winnie said...

My friend went to to China and she feels the same as you. She misses it like crazy!

Loving the cupcakes. I just had to click on your blog because of your blog title, I adore that film!

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Looks like you're having an awesome time and doing well! Anything with mini cupcakes can't be too bad :)

{lovely little things} said...

I've never been to Toronto or Montreal but would love to go, keep posting pics of your beautiful cities!