Friday, January 20, 2012

Tokyo Haircuts: Watanabe

Hair by Kenichi Momoi

To be fair, I've always had really satisfying experiences getting my hair cut in Japan, whether it was in Shikoku or Osaka. Finding a great hair salon is a challenge in a new city, but thankfully Tokyo has the best in the country.

I first read about Watanabe Hair Dressing through my friend Julie's excellent blog, and since I trust her impeccable taste, I gave it a try. I have visited the salon twice already, and I am more than pleased with the results- in fact, it's the very best haircut and treatment I have ever had, and I only have excellent reviews for the place. They cater to the foreigner crowd: most of the stylists speak English and some have worked abroad, thus are used to non-Japanese hair (which has a very different texture and thickness).

My haircut at Watanabe was a full experience involving a back and head massage, hot towels and lavender essential oils, cutting, styling, and conditioning. My hair stylist is Kenichi Momoi, and I highly recommend booking an appointment with him: he is so professional and pleasant to work with, made me feel extremely comfortable and knows exactly what is best for different types of hair (I tried to talk him into giving me a fringe, but he warned me against it, as it wouldn't work with my thick, wavy texture).

All the staff at the salon is highly qualified and professional: two of my friends raved about Chie Funakura, another stylist there. In fact I have only heard amazing, positive feedback from a handful of friends who have visited the salon before. It's by far the best haircut I've had in ages, and I am loving that place so much! If you live in Tokyo or even just visiting, you should book an appointment there. It's located near Harajuku station, click here for the information.

I seriously applaud any stylist who can somehow manage to turn my lion's mane into a sleek cut.

Haircut = Photobooth session. 

Thank you, Momoi!


6 comments:

valerie said...

they over bleached my hair when i went there...and are way too expensive lol...

i prefer my stylist in shibuya lol..

to each his own btw love your haircut

French Lover said...

Love the new hair, pretty lady! I don't trust anyone except my mom to cut my hair. Parisian hairstylists somehow don't have the best track records - this is going to be a problem when I move to Canada... next week. AAAAH.

Lemanie said...

Oooo very pretty!! I like the haircut! That must have been an experience!! =)

Armandthevampire said...

I have been there too. Went because of the Japanese hair straightning I have done it once back home too about months later. It was more twice as expensive back and not as good and as good special treatment. Want to go back.

Armandthevampire said...

I have been there too. Went because of the Japanese hair straightning I have done it once back home too about months later. It was more twice as expensive back and not as good and as good special treatment. Want to go back.

shiyanshiina said...

I booked with Momoi today because of your recommendation! :) They asked me which hair dresser I wanted and I told them Momoi and then they put him on the phone (!!!) and he squeezed me in 9 am before they even open, since I'm leaving Japan in a few days so I was only able to go this weekend or never, and he asked who recommended him.. and I had to tell him Vivian! :O I'm so nervous, but excited!